Friday, September 30, 2011

The Slouch Bag in Aviary II

Happy Friday All!  I have been saying I wanted to sew up a new fall bag, so I found some time this week and did just that!  And I love it!!!  The pattern is by Ali Foster and is called The Slouch Bag (find it here).  Super simple to sew up - 3 pattern pieces that come along with detailed instructions in a PDF file.  I love the patterns you can find from independent designers - they are so creative!

I made a couple of minor changes - I added a pen pocket by just sewing a straight line up the original pocket piece after it had been sewn to the lining.  I eliminated the magnetic snap because I don't like them in pocketbooks.  I also changed the opening in the lining to the bottom, instead of the side like the pattern instructs. 

The pattern calls for canvas to be used to interline the main bag body - I didn't have any plain canvas, but I had some left over from this project, so I used it and you can't see it a bit :)  The exterior fabric is Bloom in Granite from the Aviary II line by Joel Dewberry and the interior is Lodge Lattice in Vintage Yellow also from Aviary II.  I'm loving the grey and yellow combo! 
  
All in all, I highly recommend this pattern.  It's super simple (would be great for beginners!) and it makes a really cute and functional tote.  Happy Sewing!

No comments: