Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Girls Best Friend Wallet


I took a break from sewing for the upcoming purse/jewelry party to make up this wallet for my best friend.  This is the Girl's Best Friend Wallet pattern from Jennalou Designs, made up in an awesome, mustard-colored fabric from Joann's.  It's lined with a chocolate brown Kona cotton. 

This was a tough one.  I sewed and resewed the zipper.  Then I had to cut all new pattern pieces for the zippered pocket and try one last time.  I have a zillion links saved under sewing tips, so I finally went through them and found one for inserting a zippered pocket.  Check it out here, it saved me!


As you can see, the zipper did come out good, although I put it in backwards!  I didn't have it in me to take it out again, so it stays that way!  Hopefully she won't even notice :)  I also struggled with the top-stitching.  I think next time I would square it up, so that I wouldn't have to sew around curves - I had to rip it out several times before I was satisfied with it.
All in all, I'm pretty satisfied with it.  If I could do it over again I would line it in gray, as there is a bit of pale gray in the flower buds and I don't love the contrast between the yellow thread and the brown fabric, but it does look pretty good.  This is not a pattern I would recommend to beginners, but if you have experience (and lots of patience!), give it a try :)  The Girl's Best Friend Wallet is available as a PDF downloadable pattern for purchase here

7 comments:

Cathy said...

I can see why it's a problem sewing for friends. You want it perfect! But, you know, it actually is...you did a super job and she'll love it!

Anonymous said...

I think the wallet is very pretty and you did an excellent job. :) I would have a hard time trying to sew it as well.

amanda said...

First of all, I love the new look of your blog. : ) So cute and bright and cheerful. Secondly, that wallet is amazing! Im sure it was a ton of work but you can tell how well made it is and the fabric is beautiful. : ) Well done!

<3 Amanda

dianapantz said...

love the new blog layout!
and i have used that fabric before!
that pouch looks great.

Sachiko said...

I love the look of this wallet. The fabric is so cute!

Anonymous said...

neat work i love

jeifner said...

That is one of my favorite fabrics from Joann's. Great wallet, must be a wonderful friend to warrant all that :)