Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Guest Post - Dianapantz Nov

I completely forgot about this post, and just found it while cleaning up my blog stuff a bit.  I did this guest post on Dianapantz a few months ago - it's about getting the most out of your creative time.  It's definitely something that I still need to work on!  :)


1.  Be Inspired

Not on Pinterest?  You must be!!!  It is easily the most inspiring place to go (follow me here!)  I love to Re-pin all of the pretty things I see on the site, especially craft and sewing tutorials, recipes and blogging info.  If I'm short on time I can quickly browse through my Pinboards to find something that lights that crafty fire :)  I found the pin below on Diana's board and I'm dying to try it!  I actually went looking for the supplies last week, but came up short.  I will find suitable marbles and end-caps, so keep an eye on my blog for the results!   Edit - I have the supplies and will be trying this out very soon!!!!

Source: craftster.org via Katie on Pinterest


2.  Get Organized

Something that really helps me is to stay organized.  It just makes things easier!  I have been slacking on the blogging front lately and I found this awesome blog planner that I think will help me organize and pre-plan my posting.  I went to Staple's and got it laminated and it's good to go!  For me, list-making and calendars are crucial to staying organized and getting things done.  I'm on the hunt for the perfect planner for 2012 - so many fun projects to do, I need to keep track of when to get them done!



3.  Plan Ahead

When it comes to sewing projects - planning ahead is so important!  I read this tip ages ago - when prepping for a new project, get all your fabrics and interfacing cut ahead of time.  Lay out all the needed notions, thread your sewing machine and/or serger with coordinating thread, read over the pattern and then take it step by step.  Breaking each piece down into smaller steps will help you get a little bit done each day.  Sometimes when faced with starting a new project and I haven't gotten everything prepared ahead of time, makes me feel overwhelmed and I just put it aside, but pre-prep and small steps really do help you get more done in the long run :)

4.  Try Something New

Stretch your creative muscles!  For me, my fave thing in the world is sewing.  But, I've also dabbled in jewelry-making, embroidery and cross-stitch and I'm dying to learn to crochet (this will be the year, I swear it!!)  As much as I love to sew, it's not very portable and it's fun to have a craft to work on while in the car or watching TV at night.  Doing anything creative makes you feel so good!  And trying something new will keep you sharp :)

Source: tipjunkie.com via Katie on Pinterest


5.  Reach Out

I have blogged and read blogs for years before reaching out to other gals that inspire me daily.  I have been loving my sponsorship dealings with Diana - it's kept me motivated to blog and to create fun giveaways and posts that she can share with her readers.  I also highly recommend linking up!  Link parties are so much fun and you can find so many creative people and awesome blogs when you check them out - plus you get to share your awesome creations with a bigger audience.  Tons of blogs sponsor link parties - they are lots of fun!!  Social media is another great way to reach out (I'm on Twitter here - posting infrequently but I'm trying to get better!)  You can find tons of great info like tutorials, products and even discounts by liking someone on facebook or following them on Twitter.  Getting connected with other bloggers will totally motivate you to create, I promise!

No comments: