Sunday, January 9, 2011

First Vogue Ever

I love this pattern.  I love this top.  I really really really love this pattern and this top!  This is the first time I have used a Vogue pattern and it's a success!  The pattern is Vogue 8597, a Very Easy Vogue and easy it was!  I cut this out last weekend and it took me 2 1/2 hours to sew it up.  Next time it should be even quicker and I will definitely be making this again!  The fabric is a purple rayon slub knit from fabric.com.  It's so soft and pretty :)  I just checked, they seem to be out of it :( too bad, I probably would have ordered more!

I used my regular sewing machine to sew the side seams and to attach the sleeves and the cowl neck.  I serged all of the seam allowances and just went ahead and serged the sleeves together.  Next time (now that I know this fits) I will just use my serger for most of it, although I would still take my time and machine stitch the sleeves in and the cowl neck.

I even tried a new technique - the double needle hem.  This tutorial really helped me get started.  It came out really good on the main hemline, but the sleeve hem looks like it has a big bump running down the middle of the stitching.  I think I just need a wider needle and it's not something that will bother me too much, since I just love this top!  :)

2 comments:

Eugenia said...

Congratulations on completing your first Vogue pattern! I love your top - it's such a nice style and the colour of the fabric is beautiful. I bet you wear this one a lot!

Mom said...

Wow, Katie! Great job. I love the neckline and it looks great on you!!!!